The first week

The first week was a blur! Let me start with the fact that I am not a morning person. I never have been. Guess what? When you get a dog, you have to get up even earlier!! Further, you need to establish a good routine. I had thought about this so I had a good idea of what I was going to do, but actually doing it was a bit tougher. This is what our days began to look like:

6:00AM – alarm goes off
6:15AM – I begrudgingly get out of bed
6:30AM – we are outside for a quick walk and potty time
6:45AM – we are back inside, breakfast served and it’s time for me to get ready for work
(I’ll skip my boring work day because, really, this is a blog about Ginger, not me)
5:00PM – home from work, change clothes and out the door for a neighborhood stroll
Evenings were variable
8:45PM – outside for final potty time and a short walk
9:30PM – BED (Becca is WIPED OUT)

Those were pretty much our days for the first week or two. And for the most part, we still stick to that routine.

Aside from establishing a routine, that first week gave me a lot of insight into my new dog. For instance, when I adopted a 35-40 pound dog, I didn’t realize she would be 35-40 pounds of SOLID MUSCLE and be able to pull me around if I didn’t have firm footing. I also learned that her Golden Retriever side was alive and kicking! She could spot or sniff out any squirrel or cat within a one block radius of us, and let me tell you, she remembers EXACTLY which houses those cats are at. (side note: you also learn a lot of interesting things about your neighborhood when you get a dog. For instance, if I go north on the street that I live, there is a large population of free-roaming cats. I have now affectionately named those 3 blocks “Cat Row” or “Death-to-my-arm Row” because of work out my arm gets trying to control her)

She had her first bath at the end of the first week with me and I learned that she’s not a big fan of those. But seeing her tail sadly tucked underneath her as I sang “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine” while pouring cups of water over her soapy fur was pretty cute. She only tried to jump out once twice three times and I stayed mostly dry wet through the process, so overall it was a success bath for both of us.

At the end of that first week, we had both learned a lot about each other, both good and bad. But my favorite moment was when she jumped up on the couch with me one evening and laid her head on my legs that were curled up on the couch and gave a big sigh (of relief I believe). Not an affectionate dog my ass! I think she was as smitten with me as I with her.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s